Anyone who spends much time with me knows that the year and a half I spent as a member of the 493d Fighter Squadron was probably the most fun I've had in any job, ever. The squadron has a rich history dating back to WWII, and has been responsible for some very notable kills (including one steam shovel, presumably in Germany someplace). But more than that, the people and the job were great. I even had the opportunity to work with an old roommate and fellow RM from the Air Force Academy, as well as a flight surgeon who, while a Mormon, knows how to rough a guy up. Not that I know anything about that.
Earlier this year, my old squadron was recognized by Raytheon (makers of one of the finest air-to-air missiles ever known) with the Raytheon-Hughes Trophy for 2007. That trophy goes to the best air superiority squadron in the United States Air Force each year. I'm sorry to say that Jenn and I weren't around to go to the party, but I was lucky enough to get some of the pictures from the day's festivities.
Thanks go to Lori Powell for the pictures, dutifully stolen from her Facebook page.



To the Reapers! Mors Inimicis...

No comments:
Post a Comment