You would think that. And you would be wrong.
Obviously, exciting doesn’t always mean good. And in a war, exciting often means bad. So it’s okay when things aren’t exciting.
But what about when things are the exact opposite of exciting? Like when they’re like this…

Or this…
While most of what I do here is satisfying and, at times, fun and even exciting, there’s one thing that I dread every week. It’s one hour of suffering that is so grueling and painful, that every time I turn around, it seems like it’s upon me yet again.
It’s…the weekly CJ2 Video Teleconference!!
This is basically where representatives from each of the different regional commands around Afghanistan meet (in a virtual sense, of course) with the good folks here to discuss the previous week’s events, and talk about where things are going in the near term. My job here makes it so I have to go sit in as part of the peanut gallery and, generally, try to stay awake.
As one would expect from any good Coalition effort, there are several nationalities represented. Similarly, there is a varying degree of competence on the individual level. That’s not to say that Country X has smart people and Country Y doesn’t. Rather, certain individuals seem more capable than others. In fact, some have certain reputations for being either very capable, or so incapable as to cause confusion about how they even got on the right airplane to get here in the first place. Something else that’s interesting is how the less capable ones take up so much time saying so little, while the more capable ones can condense immense amounts of information into brief, cogent statements.
And then, there are the accents.
Again, in any multi-national setting, you have to expect varying skill at communicating in the common language (in this case, English). And people are generally pretty understanding of others’ difficulties. Conversely, I would think that when you have someone who’s trying to communicate in a language that is secondary to a good proportion of an audience, you would try to find the most capable speaker available. And most everyone else seems to get that. Except for the Italians. They seem to have decided to pick the person least able to make himself understood. This situation has resulted in our very own weekly episodes of “Allo Allo”.
Being here DOES sometimes make me wonder what happened to the Axis powers...
Perversely, although this provides for some good entertainment, it also makes his portion of the meeting almost incomprehensible and therefore the most frustrating.

2 comments:
I know the feeling all too well. While we don't have a lot of other accents at work, there really can be a wide difference between a productive meeting and an unproductive meeting. Remind me again of Allo Allo. I don't remember that one. I wonder if there is a you tube on that... :)
BTW, I haven't mentioned to you yet how absolutely amazed I was to see 20-25 people show up to help with the move. My son Josh, and Jamison and I drove down to help. We spoke with your mother and Jenn and Lizzie. (Lizzie is a doll by the way!). I was extremely impressed with the efficiency and willingness to help of a lot of the people in the squadron --even wives (& significant others) came to help! I thoroughly enjoyed the experience. I want you to know that your family really has been in good hands during the move. I'm just glad I was able to be a witness in such a great example of good work and good people.
I also couldn't help but notice some similarities of some of the wonderful qualities of your wife and how those qualities remind me of my own wife. Our wives while different have some great things going for them--aside from marrying very well (:)) they really are outstanding people - they care about people but they are also movers ---they don't bemoan over despair or problems, they move. It was an inspirational weekend on many fronts. I'm grateful I had the opportunity to come help (what little I did).
I guess this is getting longer than I had intended. Just wanted to let you know we support you and wish you the best--even through the sometimes unproductive meetings :)). The squadron was a tremendous help in the move. And in the words of the Incredible's babysitter, "[Jenn] can totally handle anything this [foreclosure] can dish out."
Thanks for what you're doing. Keep going!
Thanks for the words, John. I'm amazed myself at all the help that's been forthcoming. And since I haven't had a chance yet, let me thank YOU for coming all the way down there to help. We truly appreciate it!
Post a Comment