Saturday, January 17, 2009

Famous Former Inmates

This week there have been not one, but two escapees from the Zoo in the news. First and better known is the pilot of the US Airways flight that landed in the Hudson river. He graduated in 1973 and flew F-4s for Big Blue. Definitely a case of experience counting. I also just read today where he was the last person to leave that airplane, after having walked up and down the aisle twice, just to make sure everyone else made it.

Second, I'm sure everyone's heard by now of the genius who tried to fake his own death by jumping out of his plane (which failed), then almost getting eaten by gators, then being seen on video, and then REALLY trying to kill himself (which also failed). Well, thanks to Carrie Fogle's blog, I found out that none other but my friend Josh 'Razor' Fogle (also a USAFA grad) was scrambled to intercept the plane. Josh was sitting alert in New Orleans at the time the call went out. Anyway, I can only imagine what he was thinking when he looked over and saw a dark cockpit...

Finally, this is a different subject, but an Australian SAS soldier recently was given the Victoria Cross, which is the highest miltary decoration that a British Commonwealth military member can receive (similar to the US's Medal of Honor). He's the first Aussie in 40 years to receive it, and you can read more about it here.

UPDATE: If you go to this link, you can see video of the interview Razor did for Fox News. I have to laugh, because it seems like he desperately wants to laugh a couple of times, and that being interviewed is the last place he wants to be. That said, great job, man. Incidentally, Razor's the one who does most of the talking on the radio during the intercept.

3 comments:

John said...

Small World! I remember seeing that interview on Fox. Seemed like the pilots were a little out of place on camera, but did well none the less. Razor? Where do they come up with these call names anyway?

J-Dib said...

I wanted to watch the clip, but as my audio isn't working, I found it a little pointless. Hopefully, this will still be available by the time you get home with the laptop. I did see the little still of the video, and Razor definitely looks like he's supressing a smirk.

Tripp said...

Jenn, see if you can borrow someone else's computer at some point. It's worth your time.

John, every name has at least one story behind it. That's pretty much all I can say, although Razor's has partly to do with a scar he has on his head.